Sunday, April 17, 2016

Insects...

Bugs...Bugs...and More Bugs! This week we learned about the life cycle of insects, their characteristics that make them insects, the letter Bb, reviewed the letter Ii,and reviewed numbers 2, 3, and 6. I am going to apologize for the small amount of pictures this week. I went home early on Friday with a "bug" of my own!

Thursday:
Our egg carton butterflies. This was a 2 day projects. I let the kiddos color with markers and they LOVED it!


Life Cycle of a butterfly...
We learned that insects have 4 stages and compared it to frogs and ducks from last week. 

We made a fun book all about the life cycle of a butterfly.
We also revisited ordinals (first-fourth)

Letter Hunt...
Perfection sweet buddy!


Independent dot sheet with the letter Bb.

Scissor cutting...

I took this activity up a notch to do a quick assessment.
The kiddos do a great job cutting in straight lines. I wanted to check to see where they were at cutting a shape out. This is very challenging for several reasons. The fine motor aspect is huge! The eye hand coordination is difficult enough...and then I add on the scissor grip of opening and closing the scissors while cutting. Wow...that is a lot of tasks for those sweet little hands.

What you can do at home...let them cut! Have them cut things like play-doh and yarn. It doesn't have to be just paper...infact...play-doh and yarn will help strengthen their grip. Cutting in lines is the first step of development...and then cutting a shape or along a dotted line increases the challenge.
*If you need scissors...let me know! I have tons I can share with you and your little one! You for sure want to use child sized scissors!
 Friday:
I forgot to take a picture of our insect sort. We read a nonfiction book about insects and then reviewed their characteristics (2 antennae, 3 body parts, 6 legs). I then had a bucket of plastic creatures. They would grab a but and as a group we would figure out if it was or was not an insect.

After our sort we explored and played with the giant creatures!

I also pulled out some of my insect x-rays! They used the light table to explore the x-rays.
This was super cool!

Day 2 of our butterfly craft!
Painting the body!


Noodle life cycle of a butterfly..
This is super cute and you will be able to find it in their portfolios!

Ii is for insect.
 These kiddos cut and glued all by themselves some insects on the letter Ii.

Bb is for Bee!
This was a great activity because the kiddos had to tear paper to make their B look like a bee. Sounds easy enough but again this is challenging for those sweet hands and fingers! They did an awesome job!


What a cool week to explore! The kiddos also were explorers outside and looked for insects of their own...ask them if they found any! I want to send out a huge, "Thank you" to 3 special mamas that helped me on Friday when I was feeling so "buggy" myself! They really pulled it off! I am not sure what I would do without the amazing families and the wonderful support you all provide! I know I have said it before...but I will say it again...I am truly BLESSED!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment