Monday, November 2, 2015

Halloween


Can I ever start my blog out without saying...What a fun week? Well, I sure hope not! We did have a blast...with sweet and spooky costumes, games, food, crafts, and some special learning. This week we focused on the letter, Hh and continued with numbers 0-5 (keep your eyes peeled...I will be posting a way to work on these numbers somewhere in my blog!).

Thursday:
We opened our week with this silly story. Ask your kiddo how this silly skeleton got rid of his hiccups!



We made our own skeletons.
Here I tied in some math. I laid out a pile of q-tips. I then asked the kiddos to grab 5. This is where it became somewhat tricky for the kiddos. Counting 1:1 when a specific number laid in front of them they can do. But...asking them to grab a given number can be more tricky...
I can't give you homework yet...it is waaayyyyy toooooo early in the blog! You will have to read on!
P.S. this is a fabulous fine motor skill. Picking up these thin q-tips is challenging with the kiddos using the pinching grasp.

H is for a Halloween House.
This was their independent activity. My focus here was fine motor of course! I want to strengthen those tiny fingers and peeling stickers is a great way to do it! From the beginning of the year to now it is just amazing how much they have grown! In the beginning peeling stickers like these was nearly impossible!




Hh letter hunt. 


Working on their scissor cutting.
We are focusing on proper scissor AND paper hold. Again...this teacher is impressed with how much they have grown. It is proof that practice makes perfect!

Cutting yarn and play-doh at home is great for the kiddos. If you need kiddo scissors let me know...I would be glad to send some home for you!

Candy Corn Counting
O.K. you have waited long enough. Get ready for some homework. But....let me explain "why" first.
This is a type of activity that I love doing. It is a stair step in counting. In each piece of candy I had a number 0-5. I would ask them to get 0 pieces, 1 piece of candy, 2 pieces...etc. This was meant to be challenging. I had the candy in the center of the table...they had to get that many. This is a 2 step process. (to get candy /counting it out loud...while making sure they had the right amount). This is extremely challenging for kiddos at this age. 
Our goal is to teach them to count the pieces as they take the pieces (with the goal amount in mind). NOT grab a lot of pieces and then count. She is doing a perfect job here!


Perfection!!!
Homework: lay no more than 7 or so items in the center of your table. Ask them to show you 1 item put the item back...then do 2, 3, 4, 5. Modeling the process is so very important to them. So if they struggle...do it with them. Helping them point and count aloud. All we can do is reinforce and model this process. With your help we can build a strong foundation in understanding how numbers work!  This is why I have stuck with the numbers 0-5 for so long...consistency and confidence is the key for these kiddos.

Friday:
Party Time!!
How cute are these goblins??

A game of "Bingo" and "Pin the Nose on the Pumpkin"






Sweet boy and his daddy! His awesome mama was there too...I missed that photo! Shame on me!
Pumpkin painting time! My kiddos are so great with a paint brush that word has it we were cleaner than the 4 year old class (but SSSSHHHHH you didn't hear that from me!)



These pumpkins were awesome!

Sweet boy and his mama!
Snack creation! They made vampire cookies...



Spidergirl LOVES her frosting...


I had the parents read some Halloween books if their station finished a bit early. 

This mama and her knight and shining armor!
Popcorn goblin hands...

This daddy is a professional at helping in our room!

I think he really, really enjoyed this story! Just look at that face full of excitement!

Nothing like a daddy and his sweet boy!

I want to thank each and every parent for helping with the party. Without you my parties would not run so smoothly! I am truly blessed to have such wonderful parents in my room...and so willing to volunteer your time! If you didn't help with this party...don't fear...I will most likely be contacting you soon (We still have the Christmas and Valentine's parties). EVERY parent will get an opportunity to help...I promise!

P.S. if you have not read this story...You need to! It is my FAVORITE Halloween story! The kiddos (ok... and especially me!) really get into it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment