Tuesday, February 18, 2014

President's day, K, 4s we

This week we took at look at money for the first time! We also focused on 2 President's: George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. Our letter was /Kk/ and our number was 4 (we were able to revisit, "Pete the Cat and his 4 Groovy Buttons")

Monday
I started Monday with the questions...what is this? Most knew it was money...by today most should know it is a penny with Abraham Lincoln on it!
After learning about good 'ol Abe...we made a cabin. The kiddos learned that he helped his dad build a cabin in Indiana (that is where we live!)


While creating our cabin...I didn't just focus on the product...but focused on what went into the product. We discussed shapes (triangle, rectangle, and square) and colors (yellow, green, and red), and they had to count to me the amount of sticks they used using 1-1 correspondence!

Ask your kiddos what Mr. Abe kept in his tall black hat!

Great work kiddos!
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/84794405458455810/
We started word study with the letter K book.  
I then introduced a new poem..."Here we go around the consonant tree" They LOVED this song/poem...I will add it to their folders! It is a great way to connect the letters with the sounds!

Independent letter dot! Such a sweet face! 
letter K 4 box!

Great dotting buddy!

Here we go on a letter hunt...to make our sweet names!


Peeling those stickers is a tough job for these sweet hands! Such a great fine motor skill!


So proud of his work! And he should be this was a tough job! 
building with friends!

Nice Work!!

Is it lunch time...I'm hungry!

Money time! Let's take a closer look at the penny! What do we see?

I wrote down everything they noticed...


Then we used magnifying glasses to see what we missed!


Penny rubbing...we put the penny under a sheet of paper and then used a brown crayon to rub over it!


Great eyes you smart guys!! As you can tell from my surprised and excited face!


Tuesday...

Thank you to a very generous parent we have some more "Hot Dots" in our room! The kiddos LOVE these..and so educational!

We learned about George Washington. He wore shoes unlike Abraham Lincoln (thanks to a kiddo who noticed that in the story...so observant!!) We also learned he was our first President!



Making our buddy George!


Oh...so crafty!
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/84794405458456146/

For word study on the letter /Kk/ we started with hot potato...we passed a bean bag around the room...when you caught it you had to say, "this is the letter K...it says, "/K/


This shining star is so proud she can write her name on her letter K book!

Hunt that /Kk/


Let's paint the U.S.A. Flag! Our independent activity for the day!



My little artists! 
This activity kept me smiling. "If I were President I would..." I had answers like, "Tell my mom what do do" "Eat ice cream all day!" "Turn myself into a lion!" "Drink Milk non-stop!"



A-B-C  bingo! This was an item was able to purchase through Scholastic. What is so awesome about this game is that the kiddos had the lowercase letters on their cards and I drew capitol letters...they had to make that connection...difficult at first! We will keep practicing!
"I got a BINGO!"

Mrs. Trina sharing some non-fiction books! 

This guy surprised me when he noticed the Qq on the wall...and said, "Look Mrs. Laura...It is a quarter with our buddy George!" Ha! They really do repeat everything you say! 

I loved this activity and so did they! They had to sort the pennies and the quarters. Before we started sorting though we talked about what we noticed was different on each coin!

  

Oh so focused! 

Great job smart buddy!

http://crisscrossapplesaucelearning.blogspot.com/2012/02/happy-presidents-day.html



Showing off her number 4 4-box sheet!
Our last activity was Pete the Cat and his 4 groovy buttons (sorry no pictures!). We turned this into a Math lesson. I had drawn Pete's coat on the wipe bored with his buttons..we counted and displayed the number using our fingers. We erased a button each time one popped off. I then teased the kiddos by writing the wrong number...they would giggle and correct me...after a few tries I would call a kiddo to come up and help me write the number correctly! Just another way to make learning silly, fun, and make them feel so smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment