Monday, December 7, 2015

Gingerbread, Trees, and Lights...Oh My!

We had a fun week reading the different styles of Gingerbread Man stories. We read about a Gingerbread Boy, Gingerbread Girl, and their favorite Gingerbread Cowboy. We were wrapped in Christmas lights, made Christmas Trees with our hands, and our favorite...creating memories painting ornaments with our family and friends.  We worked on the letter Gg and of course continued (I promise for only a few more weeks) with numbers 0-5. I also spent a lot of time on their pencil grip.

Thursday:
I began the week wrapping these sweet kiddos in Christmas Lights...some enjoyed it more than others! This activity is probably one of my favorites of the year...such a sweet gift from me to you!




After reading a traditional version of the Gingerbread Boy we made gingerbread ornaments of our own!



I spent a lot of time working on pencil grip this week. This is the time kiddos begin creating habits of holding their pencils. Proper pencil grip is a taught thing...not a natural thing. This is where we come in! This picture of this sweet kiddo needs some love holding her pencil...You are about to witness the power of a penny.

This here shows you that a penny is worth millions. Let me show you how I did it in the next sequence of pictures!

Needing a little of love with his pencil...

He lays it down...and I give him a penny.

This is where you place the penny.

Then you give them the pencil. They will get more comfortable the more you do this with them. I call this, "The power of a penny!"

Our author of the month...and a retelling sheet for you to do with your kiddo at home. Recalling a story is a beginning stage of reading.

Our special guest reader! 

Earth and Fire time!














Taking a bite of a gingerbread cookie. What will they take a bite of first? The head...the arm...or the leg? 



We graphed their first bites. Such a fun way to incorporate math...and model 1:1 counting!!

Color by number...and following simple 1 step instructions!



Friday: We began our day reading a sweet story about a small Christmas Tree that was made by God. He learned he has so many purposes...even though he is super little. The possibilities of our life are endless! 
Who is having a blast while I paint his sweet hand...his smile was not staged at all! 

Our special creation for your tree!

A fun sensory activity...painting with evergreen branches. 



Here is a sneak peek at what we made you after mean Mrs. Laura wrapped each sweet kiddo with Christmas Lights.

Adding ornaments to our Christmas Tree. Stair step counting is really sinking in with these kiddos. Each week I see improvement with their understanding the value of each number.  And since I haven't mentioned it yet in this blog...I will now...this isn't just a great counting activity...it is a great fine motor one as well...that pinch grasp strengthens those sweet fingers!

Perfection sweet buddy!

AND...of course I did not glue these on to their sheet. I had them put them into baggies so that you can repeat this activity at home and see how your kiddo is improving! Check their 1:1 counting and their number sense for each number!
We had a fun and educational week! I love my job and love seeing that light bulb go off in their sweet noggins when they learn something! Next week is all about those trains! Remember those p.j.'s for Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment