Sunday, September 13, 2015

Apples!

Another fun week to mark in our books. We loved exploring (and tasting) different kinds of apples and incorporating some fun science. Our letter of the week was Aa and our number was 4.

Thursday:
We began our day with with seeing who liked apples and who didn't during our morning message. 13 kiddos liked apples and 1 didn't. I later found out that 1 actually LOVES apples...he just likes to be different! Love the personalities in these kiddos!
After reading a non-fiction book about apples we began making apples of our own. This would be a 2 part craft. Day one we painted and day 2 we labeled the parts of apples...





Author Study with David Shannon
2 more David Shannon books. I forgot to take a picture of 2 more books we read: Duck on a Bike and How I became a Pirate. This concluded our author study on David Shannon. I hope you enjoyed the special book I sent home with them. Be sure to read the autobiography to them and find out which book was their favorite! 


Highway letters. 
This is a fun way for the kiddos to "trace" the letters. I have these for both capitols and lowercase letters. Here is the link if you want to print some out for your home. A fun and simple way to manipulate letters!
http://www.drjean.org/html/monthly_act/act_2009/03_Mar/pg01.html

Adding apples to our baskets.
 I loved this activity for many reasons. 1. They were able to count the apples...and watch the numbers increase in value for each basket. 2. They had to use 1:1 counting to be sure they had the correct amount in each basket. 3. fine motor skills were used in peeling the stickers 4. it was just plain fun!



Time for some erupting apples!
One of my favorite experiments of the year! Here is the link if you want to do it at home on a rainy day!
http://www.growingajeweledrose.com/2013/09/fall-activity-for-kids-apple-volcanoes.html




OK...these 2 faces are just priceless! Love their excitement with learning! 


Pete the Cat and His 4 Groovy Buttons...
I am excited that many of you got to witness my awesome rapping skills! For those that didn't get to see it,,,I am sorry! What we did was I played the CD for the book as we followed along (sang along)...we stopped the CD to remove a button. This helped us work on the number of the week in a fun and different way!
They were all so engaged...learning is so much fun!
Here is a link to listen to the book so you can listen at home. This will get your kiddos super excited! Not to mention stuck in your head! You may or may not thank me later!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC3c_KsN2Vs

Friday:
Our morning message.
We examined our names and discovered if our name had an Aa in it or not. 

 Fire drill practice.
 I made sure to let them know there was NO fire...but it is important to know what to do and practice being safe. They rocked it and were all so very brave.


Part 2 of our craft was labeling the parts. 


The "apples of my eye!"

If you haven't checked these out on our bulletin board...please do! They will make your day! Such personalities!




Apple tasting time
hich one do you think they will like best?

It may be hard to decide! 


I was surprised they liked the Granny Smith the best!

Independent activity for the day was apple mosaics
They had to tear the pieces of paper and fill the apple. The smaller they tear...the stronger their fingers are! Such a great way to strengthen their fingers! 



This is what I call, "4-box" sheet.
he kiddos make the letter of the week 4 different ways...a fun and non-traditional way to learn to make the letters.



During our number sense station with me...we re-visited at our apple tasting chart and turned it into a graph.

Brilliant work smart buddy!

Science time!
 Let's make some apple seeds dance.
 First we predicted what we thought would happen to the seeds with all of these ingredients. Some answers included: nothing, exploding, erupting, and disappearing. I like the way they think!


Here is the link below if you would like to try this at home!
http://teachingmama.org/5-baking-soda-experiments/

So Trina was busy working on getting folders together...so I had to take "selfies" with my "All About Me" friends!

Maybe I should add a selfie stick to my wish list...this sweet buddy looks less than amused! But he is very handsome!

A is for Alligator

A is for Airplane!
Our bible lesson of the week:
1 Timothy 2:5
"For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus." 
We talked about that an Apple has 3 main parts: flesh, core, and seeds. And connected that with the, "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit."
So when I got home...this was on my doorstep! Getting this box is like Christmas morning for me! I want to thank each and everyone who ordered books. This order alone I was able to order each kiddo 3 books that I will be distributing throughout the year! I am considering adding "Library" time to my room...and allowing kiddos to practice checking out books....and returning them. Let me know your thoughts...I know it can be difficult to keep track of just another thing.
Next week is all about the weather...letter Ww...and number 5. I can't wait to explore this theme and all of the fun learning! Have a super Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment