Sunday, August 17, 2014

Back to school! And it is all about Me, Mm, and the number 1 this week!

What a great start to a new school year! We had so much fun getting to know one another! This week we began to learn the routine of the classroom, the letter Mm, and the number 1. I can't wait to see where this year takes us!

Monday...

Our Morning Message! Every morning I write a message to the kiddos. We always have a yes/no question that each child gets to come up and answer. We then count up all of the "yes's" and "no's"

This sweet boy is excited about school!

and so is this sweet boy!

After our message I read a story that follows our theme. 
Check out this awesome line! Can you believe they are only 3?? Amazing! We are ready for recess!

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

Already making friends


After recess we have Minds-in-Motion
                                                   








When we come back into the room I read another story and then it is followed by a craft. Let me paint those sweet hands! "Tickle, Tickle!" You will be getting tons of hand prints this year...I can't get enough of those little fingers!
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/508062401683160136/
                                 
After I read..."The way I feel" A book on emotions we talked about how we felt coming to school...
O.K. so I am no artist...that is a hand...but the kiddos expressed great emotions about coming to school!
http://funhandprintartblog.com/2011/08/back-to-school-with-the-kissing-hand-round-up.html










Word Study! Here comes the letter Mm. I introduced the poem "Alphabet Brew" This poem will be done each week to introduce the new letter of the week. It is also in their poetry folders...so you can practice it at home! I have also included the link for you to print these dot pages and do at home.
http://shared.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/lotw/A_ZDoADots.pdf

Play! Play is so great for teaching...craft and socialization! So important for these kiddos!

This sweet girl LOVES to dress up! Such a great imagination!


Tuesday...
Ready to roll!


Morning read aloud... "I like Myself"

Oh so big!
One of the many beginning of the year activities was measuring the height of these sweet kiddos! I measured in green yarn (let the growing begin) and will end the year with red yarn...so you can witness their growth and cherish their sweet size at this age forever!

Snack time...What goes great with a snack...a story of course!
This month we will be doing David Shannon! I love this author! A special note about him: He wrote and illustrated his first book at the age of 5! His mother saved it and it was later published ("No, David"). So there is your excuse to start saving...EVERYTHING! I have added a link just in case you wanted to learn a bit more about him!
http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/contributor/david-shannon

      
They are all amazing...aren't they!





Each week I will do a poem...often to follow the theme. The poem will be added to their notebooks. A great way to connect home and school! On Monday I introduced, "I Am" I used the kiddos pictures to help them get to know one another. On Tuesday we were letter detectives and go to find the letter Mm...if they found it they got to come up and highlight the letter using highlighter tape.
Smart buddy!

For the letter Mm. I had shown them a box of Mac'n'Cheese (environmental print...reading print they see around them even without really being able to read...i.e.: McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Cheerios). This is one of the first steps to being able to read...and a fun game to do in the car!
They then picked up each noodle one-by-one and glued it to the letter. You will very quickly learn I LOVE...LOVE fine motor activities! These are so important for their tiny, growing hands/fingers! It will help strengthen them! There are so many things you can allow them to do at home: tearing paper, cutting yarn/play-doh, hole punching, picking up pennies wearing gloves...etc!

Let's make a play-doh face! Super sweet boy!

What a great, great first week! Thank you so much for trusting me with your treasures! I am so blessed to have each and every one these kiddos in my room! I love my job!!

P.S. The majority of activities I do...I make myself at home. If you ever want a blank copy please just ask! With all of my heart I believe that home/school connection is so important!




No comments:

Post a Comment