Sunday, October 25, 2015

Pumpkins

Welcome back! What a fun way to start back after a wonderful 2 week break!! We loved learning all about pumpkins.

Thursday:
Our morning message.
Each morning we start our day with a message and a question. Each kiddo gets to come up and answer the question. We then work on counting.

Craft time!
Acrylic paint and 3 year old's...why not??



Mrs. Tracy was worried...but I think they rocked it!

My sweet hubby helping spray paint the faces on
 I had to draw the line at acrylic paint...3 year old's and spray paint...now that sounds scary! 
I told the kiddos they painted pumpkins and I (ok...JJ) turned them into jack-o-lanterns! 

The final product...
This was my fist time attempting this craft! They turned out super cool! Jesus truly does shine through these sweet kiddos!

Book book time! Reading, Pumpkin, Pumpkin. A great non-fiction book to learn about the life cycle of a pumpkin.


Independent water color painting.


These kiddos are so impressive with the weekly letter hunt! 

Some matching and counting with Mrs. Crystal


Time to use a few of our senses to check out the inside of a pumpkin. 
It's "Hammer Time!"

This was a super cool way to incorporate some fine motor skills.
They put the "nail" in and hammered it until it went through...A fun way to build eye-hand coordination and hand strength.

Estimation Time!
Who ever would have thought that 3 year old's could estimate the circumference of a pumpkin?? I did!
After I explained what the circumference was these kiddos got to make their own predictions by telling me how long to cut the yarn.


They then came up and got to check if it was, "too long, too short, or just right"

My goodness cutie pie...you were "just right!!"

How awesome was this!?!
Friday:
We can add seeds to our pumpkin...5 to be exact!

Such a great fine motor skill as well. Picking up these tiny seeds using the pinch grip is tough work!

great 1:1 counting smart buddy!

Our "Thumb-kin" patch,,,

Now just give me that sweet thumb!
*You didn't see this because I put it into their portfolios...you will get those at the end of the year.

Independent pumpkin sponge painting...so much fun!




Life cycle of a pumpkin...sequencing and recalling is such an important skill to these little ones!


Perfection!

Taste testing with pumpkin seeds..

Just look at that face...I am not sure she is a fan! 

I was so amazed that each kiddo tried the seeds! As you know...many kiddos at this age get nervous to try something different...but not this group!  And a bigger surprise is that all but 2 liked them!

For some reason I forgot to take a picture of us doing our poem of the week, 5 little pumpkins sitting on a gate" On Friday I had cut out the pictures and we retold the poem from memory! Retelling/recalling is the first steps in learning to read! I bet you they could recite this to you...just take a look in their poetry folders and read it together!
I loved teaching this theme! Next week is Halloween...it may be a spooky week!

No comments:

Post a Comment