Monday, October 6, 2014

It's all about the leaves!

What a fun week...As the leaves begin to change colors...these kiddos got to experience it first hand! Take a look!

Thursday:
Our new APPLE T.V.!! I can not wait to implement this into our classroom. We have Ipads coming soon so this will be very interactive for the kiddos!

Creating our leaf animals..



http://www.pinterest.com/pin/143974519310822965/

Number recognition review using "Highway Numbers"
http://www.makinglearningfun.com/

Letter review...making letters many different ways!

My special guy of the day...and a photo bomb behind!

Leaf sort

You grabbed an orange leaf...great job buddy!


http://www.pinterest.com/pin/151996556147396717/
 Friday:
Each week I LOVE incorporating science into our room. This week even I learned something new. Leaves are naturally full of lots of color...but in the summer they intake a ton of chlorophyll which turns them green. So we are going to extract the color from the leaves...

We sort the leaves by color and then fill the jars according to color. I dump rubbing alcohol over the leaves and then tape masking tape to the top of the jar so the tape is also touching the leaves and alcohol. 



We discuss and predict what will happen.

The good news is that it worked! The water and the tape changed color. The bad news is that I ran out of time to show the kiddos and didn't realize it until after they left. So PLEASE do this simple experiment at home...but give it some time and use a LOT of leaves!
https://www.plt.org/blog-signs-of-fall-afterschool-activity

Examining leaves!


Craft time...This craft was new to me...but I learned a lot...and will do it again!

We took sticks, foil leaves, hot glue (only used by me), and the most important piece...glycerin!

Step 1 and 2...glue on our stick and add foil leaves to the "tree"

Glycerin...I learned to add the water and then the glycerin...mix it up first...and then add more foil leaves!
*The more glycerin you have the slower the leaves will fall in the globe.

http://frugalfun4boys.com/2013/09/26/fall-tree-snow-globes/
Counting out leaves to work on number sense review...Plus they had to peel stickers and you know how wonderful that is for their fingers!


Making a craft 

Such great artists I have!

Sweet faces! Great job buddies!!

What a fun week. I am not sure what happened to a few of my pictures...but on Friday it rained so we had a fun day playing with the parachute! I am sure over the winter we will get it out a number of times!

I want to wish everyone a safe, blessed, and fun fall break! Pumpkins when we get back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment